Hey, guys – welcome back to TNTH!
So, it’s January. It’s Birthday month. It’s that time of year where I share some cool and interesting things that I did and learned while being 24. When TNTH first started, I posted 22 Things That Happened/I Learned While Being 22 and during TNTH’s first birthday celebration, I posted one for 23.
So, without further ado, bon voyage to 24.
Things That Happened:
- I celebrated my 24th Birthday in Poughkeepsie with my partner and his family.
- I completed my 42-paged Masters Thesis within the 4 months of my last semester as a grad student.
- I supported my partner at his first ever talent show at this job.
- I started seeking therapy for my anxiety disorder and depression.
- I presented my thesis in front of an audience for the first time at a Graduate Research Conference.
- I graduated from grad school with my Masters of Arts in English.
- I lost my grandfather to cancer during the summertime.
- I become a Teacher’s Assistant for my thesis advisor and presented my thesis to graduate students in a thesis panel.
- I’ve dealt with an extremely dark period of time due to my mental health.
- I spoke about my anxiety and depression publicly in front of an audience for the first time during an open-mic event.
- I went on my first-ever solo trip to Bangor Pennsylvania to visit my college bestie, Tori.
- I cut my hair into a pixie for the first time ever.
Things I’ve Learned:
- Make memories that you are never tired of talking about in the future because they were just that good.
- Your voice can still be heard through academic writing, and even more so, you will discover just how much of your voice you find through writing.
- Passion is more than just a product at the end of the day, it’s a process and journey.
- Self-awareness is a part of your journey to adulthood, and managing your mental health is just as important in your process like anything else.
- You must challenge yourself in uncomfortable and unfamiliar situations to finally get over certain fears and anxieties.
- Hard work and determination will always get you further in life.
- The older you get as a person, the more deaths you will experience in your life.
- Sometimes, reaching out for help and guidance isn’t a sign of weakness, but a door of opportunity that you may fall in love with along the way.
- You have to take a couple of steps back to truly figure out what is best for you in life and what you need from it.
- Speaking and sharing are some of the most powerful qualities to have as a human being. Everyone has a story, and it’s not easy sharing it.
- Taking that first step to plant something in action is the greatest step to take.
- You only live once, and that bucket list isn’t getting any shorter, girl.